Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Lee's Sonnett


Kind sir, at first a statement I shall make
This is the truth, cannot my hand thus lie
So if you think this verse to hold some fake
Your quest shall halt, will cease, must end, shall die.

Lee, I am, the second son of a man
Upon my father too, this same old fate
He taught me, "Boy do this all if you can,
To live in truth, humbleness, never hate."

"Run from the deceit of this world," he'd say
"Stand firm in the path of tyranny and evil men,
But, if you come to Virginia's dark day,
Don't just stand, fight back with strong fists, fierce wrath."

Slaves should be free I'll make it known
The North it's government can keep
Lincoln can have the cold and snow
Virginia's innocence never reap

In the end broken now, I am
She has been torn, never to mend

2 comments:

Nathan said...

this is really good, nate. i especially like the last two lines

Clint said...

Nate, you'll have to meet our friend sometime - he was the one who gave me the book "The South Was Right" as well as all the South Carolina flags.