Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Be a Man (You Men)


A younger man looked down on me
He thought I'd met my end.
But he was more concerned with being
Everybody's friend.

I looked at him with steady eyes
He could not hold the gaze.
I laughed and shook my head and then
I told him to his face.

"You want to be a man and lead
And carry 'round your clout
And prove that you're a man the way
You always have to shout.

"Come back here and talk to me.
I'll kick you in the balls.
If you complain and cry, I'll know
you're not a man at all.

"Lead me, tell me that I'm wrong,
But do not cloy or plead
or smile, apologize or lilt,
Just be a man and lead.

"You know that I'll put up a fight,
So get yourself prepared.
You fawn and lisp, you do not speak.
Why do you act so scared?

"You bet I'm arrogant and proud,
Intimidating too.
But when you want to lead, the one
I care about is you.

"A stubborn ass you always get
whenever work is done.
If you won't be a man, you'll find
that you are leading none."